The Mounted Patrol is a volunteer organization comprised of citizens throughout Pitt County.
What is their Purpose?
The purpose of the Mounted Patrol is to provide a reliable, functional, trained mounted unit to assist the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office and surrounding counties with search and rescue and to also provide security patrol during special events.
Requirements for membership
• Volunteers must be 21 years of age. • Must pass a background check conducted by the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office.
• Must supply your own horse, equipment, boarding, feed and transportation.
What required training do I receive as a Mounted Patrol Volunteer?
• Horse sensory training
• CPR & First Aid
• Map & Compass reading
• Radio Communications
• Evidence Protection
• Traffic Control
• Horse First Aid
• Participate in simulated training searches.
• Receive guest speakers
Each member is certified through the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office. Member are also encouraged to attend monthly business meeting as well as monthly training to retain their Volunteer Mounted Patrol Certification.
Do I receive any equipment to assist with the Mounted Patrol?
• A Black Equestrian Safety Helmet
• Tan Polo Style Shirt with the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office Logo Embroider on the Chest • Orange/Reflective Visibility Vest
• Saddle Bags containing personal/equine safety supplies/equipment for search and rescues.
Who funds the Volunteer Mounted Patrol?
The Pitt County Sheriff’s Office Volunteer Mounted Patrol raises money through fund raisers and receives donations and contributions from local businesses, civic organizations, and private citizens.
Who would I contact for more information on volunteering or to make a Donation to the Volunteer Mounted Patrol?
Call: John Teel - (252) 347-1086
Send Donations to:
Pitt County Sheriff’s Office
Volunteer Mounted Patrol Fund
P.O. Box 528
Greenville, NC 27835-0528